I absolutely smashed May – 80%+ across the board for all eight habits. The goal for June was exactly the same, as it will be for the rest of the year.
You may have already guessed from the title of this post, I might have got into trouble in June.
Let’s see how I did:
(click here for full size image)
OK, I have some explaining to do. Let’s talk positives to start with:
- I rarely achieve 100% consistency on anything outside of no alcohol. So, it felt good to drink three litres of water every day in May. I find this very easy now.
- I only missed eating 150+ grams of protein one day, hitting 97% consistency. At the end of last year, I found 120+ grams a day hard. Only eight months later, I have an average of 175 grams. Something very unusual has to happen for me to miss 150 grams. That’s a massive improvement.
- Fasting, supplements and caffeine were all safely above 80%.
Now for the slip ups.
- Sleep and 10K steps took a bit of a beating (67% and 73% respectively).
- Some consecutive misses started to creep in
And that’s because of this:
Yep, we got a puppy (Toby). And well, he’s being a puppy!
We knew it would be hard work, but I under-estimated the impact it would have on my sleep and steps. He likes to wake very early, and doesn’t like to be left alone for too long!
On one hand, it’s a tough pill to swallow. I’ve worked so hard to build eight habits to 80% consistency. I hate to see some yellows creep in. But, if I take a step back, I realise that these habits are too strong to unravel because of a temporary life event. Life is not perfect. I can’t expect a stable and predictable environment every month.
What’s important is that I take the hit, and now focus on how to temporarily mitigate the changes in my situation. I need to hold my head above water as much as I can. And soon enough, Toby won’t rise so early and will be able to be left for longer (this is already happening).
So, what can I do?
I’m going to focus on two things:
- Go to sleep earlier. If I’m going to be woken up at 5AM, I have to mitigate that by going to bed earlier. I’ve resisted this so far as I like to have a full evening to myself. But, that’s just not viable right now, and sleep is absolutely a higher priority. It’s the base of the pyramid for me. At least for a while, I need to be hitting the sack around 9PM.
- Time block when I’m going to get my steps in. I tend to have a rough plan and then be opportunistic and flexible throughout the day. That usually works. But, with less flexibility, it falls apart. I need to block time out in the day, and then be more disciplined about walking at that time.
Bring on July. I have a real challenge in front of me. But, the goal remains the same – all eight habits at 80%+.
Get my ideas straight to your inbox. Sign up for my newsletter below: